Monday 9 January 2012

Ticket to Ride...

And so...(I know only the Bible starts sentences with the word 'and', but...) the accoustic winedown at Ride cafe bar in Plymouth duly played host to Auntie Pus (The Punk Balladier) last night, as my comeback marches inexorably onwards and sideways. I entertained high hopes of entertaining the assembled ensemble of loyal troops who had shown their commitment and devotion by journeying from as far afield as the heights of Caradon Hill in darkest South East Cornwall, and the depths of Stonehouse Creek down the road, but was unsure what the reaction of the student layabout regulars would be...however, I can report that, after a set of fourteen songs, of which only three were covers (old rockin' classics but of course), the calls for an encore were both uproarious and unanimous, obliging me to deliver a Riot In Cell Block No. 9 - they're all back in their cells now but...

Did I do Claudette, I hear you ask? Well, it was Elvis' 77th birthday, so I felt it imperative to do a Roy Orbison tune, ha ha...homage was also paid to Billey Lee Riley and Carl Mann; I only hope there's no-one from the PRS reading this, then again a little court case is always good for upping the PR stakes, eh what?

...As the Grateful Dead would say, it's been a long, strange trip, and stranger still to be back on board after all these years, albeit sans Kings College Junior School blazer and cap, and with quiff tamed to a flat top. However, to quote from the updated and upgraded All The Way To Venezuela: 'I might have grey in my hair...but I don't care!'

I would normally feel for the act that had to follow me - unless they were The Damned - but in this case genial host, compere and music maestro Joe Biddle pulled a master stroke by slotting in a special guest slot from award winning local chanteuse and birthday girl Jill Cole, who kept the audience engaged and rocking with great versions of classics including Son Of A Preacher Man and Motorhead's Ace Of Spades. The wine at accoustic winedown leaves more than a little to be desired, and the 'stand at ease' is I think filched from local mousetraps (how appropriately punk!) but I think we can safely say that mine and Jill's performances last night left nothing to be desired!

Next stop the studio on Wednesday to begin recording Yolanda's Dreams (see last week's blog), and next live stops the Nowhere Inn (whaddya mean how appropriate!)  here in Plymouth and the 12 Bar Club (again I say whaddya mean how appropriate, nearly half the tunes have a different chord structure!), the latter will feature the newly reconvened Black Devils - dates and line-up to be announced shortly - expect guest appearances from the upper echelons of the ancien Men From Uncle, both on stage and in the audience. Next stop Auntie - The Movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment