Thursday 5 January 2012

The return of the Punk Balladier

This is Auntie Pus here, the Punk Balladier and Public School Punk Rocker.

Boxing Day found me sharing a dressing room with my fellow ex-Elliotonian alumni Chris Millar aka Rat Scabies, now a Member of The Members, for the first time in about 32 years, and also my old cohorts JC Carroll & Chris Payne, the other Members of The Members, at The Fleece in Bristol. Beer was taken, hands shaken and the boards subsequently trodden. I'd shed, or should I say both misplaced and outgrown the Kings College Junior School Wimbledon blazer, and replaced it with white Levi jacket and jeans, whilst Rat is now a renowned grail hunter. As Mr Zimmerman says, the times etc....

Old songs, not least Marmalade Freak, were aired, new songs including my latest offering Yolanda's Dreams, about a girl who you certainly wouldn't want in your dreams, were bared, and the new version of Halfway To Venezuela, entitled All The Way To Venezuela, and composed after my pilgrimage there in 2009 was shared in public for the first time. Photographic evidence has duly been displayed on the dreaded Facebook. Autographs were signed, a strange procedure in these days of identity theft, making me wonder if the punks concerned were gonna be applying for false passports in the Pus name, enabling them to supplement their meagre benefits with drug smuggling and currency fraud. Let's hope so!!

I am now eagerly looking forward to the other half of the 2011-12 tour  (a whole lot more eagerly than the audience, whom my minions are still pressganging into attendance - some things don't change), which takes place this coming Sunday @ Ride, Plymouth, where the set will be extended with various near and not so near misses, and supplemented with some raunchy ripping rockabilly, and may possibly feature a special guest singing unorthodox in tune backing vocals.

Punk for me has always been about misfits and social exclusion, to which end today's recommended read is 'God's Lonely Men' by Pete Haynes.

www.myspace.com/auntiepus

1 comment: